March 2, 2012 Comments Off on Open.Speak.Shut.
3 weeks ago, to this day, I adopted my very first puppy. She is a black labrador retriever and full of energy. One of the biggest problems I had training her was getting her used to her kennel because when I would leave, she would become all anxious and cry because she couldn’t be with me.
One of my tactics for helping her cope was that I would leave the room and shut the door, but every so often I would tell her something to reassure her that I was still with her, she just couldn’t see me.
For many of us today, I believe that God opens a door in our life, says something, shuts it, and comes back later.
God will say something to us, maybe even give us a glimpse into what He in store for us to accomplish in our future, but then becomes silent again as the door shuts.
Whether God tells us we are going to have to speak, despite us hating to speak. Whether God is telling us we are about to be tested, I believe God calls us into a season of preparation for what He has in store for next in our life.
You may get a small glance into your future by finding out you have a hidden talent or maybe God lays something on your heart. Nonetheless, I believe that God speaks quietly and softly into our hearts as He wants us to begin to prepare for what He has in store for us.
We may not always be able to see Him in our lives, physically, but He always wants us to know that He is there and knows exactly what today and tomorrow holds for us.
January 1, 2012 Comments Off on Worth Dying For
It began long ago, when darkness, through its deceit captured the hearts of the sons and daughters of light. We looked for light but we found only darkness. We searched for bright skies but walked in gloom. We fumbled like the blind along the wall, feeling our way like people without eyes. We were destined to fall, even in the brightest days. We stumbled as if it were dark. Among the living, we were like the dead.
We looked for justice, but it never came. We looked for rescue but it was far from us. So He, Himself, stepped in to save us with his strong arm and justice to sustain Him. He put on righteousness as armor, salvation His helmet. He clothed Himself with the robe of vengeance and wrapped Himself in a cloak of divine passion. He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain. Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars. It was love that purchased this traitor’s heart. It’s what the prophets spoke about when they envisioned light living in men once again.
For this reason, I AM LEGEND, predestined for greatness, built for the final hour. I was born for this with weapons in hand, armor in place. I now march to the beat of a different drum. I will break through battle lines that have been drawn by discouragement and despair.
What more is left to be said? Time has met its end. It’s now or never. Collision with me, myself, and I. You see my mission today is clear: to wake the dead. So let freedom’s song rage. You’re not abandoned. You’re not alone. Last day warriors arise from yesterday’s ash and raise your fist with us.
We are the army that is charging upon the land. Defeat is no longer and option! IT IS VICTORY.
December 5, 2011 Comments Off on Fearful Life
I have come to the conclusion that so many of us (myself included) are living our life in fear of:
- Relationships– We don’t want our feelings and heart to be hurt again
- Finances– We are overwhelmed by future payments and past expenses
- Knowledge– We are ashamed and embarrassed of our actions in the past- hoping nobody ever finds out.
- People– We are scared of what someone could do to us, what people think of us, and scared of being left out.
- Death– We don’t know what eternity will be like, we aren’t sure about our eternal destination
- Responsibilities– Our job demands so much of our time, getting fired, or letting someone down.
- Loneliness– We are committed to doing whatever it takes to get someone to notice us and keep them close.
But did you know that the one thing we so often times forget to fear is the one thing that controls the very things we fear? God.
We live our life concentrated so much on fearing the evil that comes against us that we forget to fear who God is. God is a loving and powerful God that deserves to be fearfully respected, not feared because He will squash you like a bug. Gods goodness, grace, and mercy is there for all who will receive it and believe Him, but we take it for granted so many times.
We fear the created rather than the Creator.
If you are in this same situation of feeling overwhelmed and fearful of so many things, you aren’t alone. In fact, God knew that it was in our human nature to fear different things.
But remember fear is an emotion, not a lifestyle.
Look at all the bible verses that remind us of Gods constant reminder not to fear because He is with us and loves us:
“Do not be afraid”
1 Samuel 4:20
1 Samuel 22:23
1 Samuel 23:17
1 Samuel 28:13
2 Kings 1:15
2 Kings 19:6
2 Kings 25:24
Jeremiah 42:11 (2 times)
“Do not fear”
Judges 6:10 (You shall not fear the gods of the Amorites…)
1 Samuel 12:20
2 Samuel 9:7
2 Samuel 13:28
1 Kings 17:13
2 Kings 6:16
2 Kings 17:35 (You shall not fear other gods, nor bow…)
2 Kings 17:37
2 Kings 17:38
1 Chronicles 22:13
1 Chronicles 28:200
2 Chronicles 20:15
2 Chronicles 20:17
2 Chronicles 32:7
Nehemiah 4:14 (Do not be afraid…)
Job 21:9 (Their houses are safe from fear..)
Psalm 78:53 (He led them to safety so they did not fear)
Isaiah 54:14?? (you will be far from oppression, for you will not fear..)
John 14:27 (Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful)
1 Peter 3:14 (Do not fear their intimidation, and do not be troubled,
November 16, 2011 Comments Off on Breathe to Succeed
The next day, the young man showed up in a suit at the beach at 4am. He was planning on making money, not swimming. The old man grabs his hand and asks him “How bad do you want to be succesfull?” He said “Real bad.”
So the old man tells him to walk out in the water, so he walks out until the water was at his knees. The old man said “Keep walking”, he walked until the water was at his chin.
The old man told him again to keep walking, but the young man said “You are crazy- I don’t want to be a lifeguard, I want to make money.” But he took another step until he was completely under water.
The old man held his head down while he was under water, just before the young man passed out the old man raised him up.
The old man asked “When you were under water, what did you want to do?” He said “I wanted to breathe” the old man said “When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, you will be successful.”
The only thing you are trying to do is get air when you are under water. You don’t care about someone texting you, going to a party, watching tv, about that cute guy or girl- all you care about is breathing. But when you get to the point that you want to be succesful as bad as you want to breathe, you will be succesfull.
So many people think they want to be succesfull, but they care more about other things then they do than success. You just kind of want it- you’d rather be cool or popular than succesful.
Some of you love sleep more than you love success, but you have to be willing to even give up sleep. If you go to sleep, you might miss the opportunity to be succesfull if you sleep.
How bad do you want it? I realize I have to commit my very being to this: I have to eat it, breathe it, see it. Understand that and work hard and this world is yours.
November 7, 2011 Comments Off on Obedience = Resistance
“Observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess, and so that you may live long in the land that the LORD swore to your forefathers to give to them and their descendants, a land flowing with milk and honey.” Deuteronomy 11 : 8 – 9
We believe that God treats us like we may treat our dog. God may ask us to do something, but if we decide to go and chase a squirrel instead God will still be happy with us because it’s all about just enjoying eachothers company, right? Wrong.
Sometimes great obedience to God causes great resistance from others in our life. Others will not understand why God has called you to make a certain decision or live your life in a certain way. However, that’s ok if they don’t understand because we’re not out to please others with our life choices – only our God. I have found that the quickest way to lose obedience and closeness to God is to start valuing what others think of me more than what God thinks of me.
People may make fun of you, friends may forsake you, or you may not get invited to all the functions you used to go to. But hold firm to the promises God has made you. Understand that when someone may threaten you or tell you your full of lies and God tells you something different, God will always 10 times out of 10, 100% be right.
Look at Deuteronomy 11:8-9, the verse opened with, God called Moses to obey the commands He had given him for today to be able to accomplish Gods plan for him weeks later. God promises the Israelites the promised land, but it was only going to be accomplished by following the commandments He was giving them in the here and now.
What are the things that God is asking you to sacrifice for today? What is He asking you to do right here, right now? Sure certain things about our life may be fun or important to us for now, but they are the very things that are going to keep us from inheriting the life God has planned out for us later.
The greatest intimacy found with God is created through our obedience on the smallest of things.
November 3, 2011 Comments Off on Relationship Checklist
- Your conversations with the opposite sex always turn into advice seeking and dissatisfied life decision talks. Here’s the problem: Misery loves company. Your priorities aren’t right and you are seeking the wrong people for advice because they cannot give you the solution to your problem, but only a speculation and mutual pitiless regrets as well. Any relationship that begins with deep emotional stimulation will eventually be required to be stabled with intense physical or spiritual compensation- don’t let this happen. Why? This never ending cycle of always having to be intense in all aspects will leave you dependent on that person for your happiness and leave the door open for you to be burned, hurt, and abused every time. Moreover, fully cutting God out of your life. The ability to be honest and level with someone is beautiful, but becomes ugly and self centered when it’s the only thing you look forward to in your time with that person.
- You plan on making Christ a priority after He gives you prince charming. We like to think that we can approach the negotiation table with God; we think we are worthy enough to make demands of God in exchange for service to Him. But here’s the thing, God is never going to be willing to give you big things in your life if you can’t execute in the small things He wants you to beforehand. God will never honor selfishness, ever. If you aren’t satisfied with who you are as a single person (what God has given you now), you will never find satisfaction in a relationship (what God gives you later). Our obsession with wanting to have what we want, when we want it has inbreed a strong dependance on what we can do for ourselves, rather than honoring the awesome plan God has already created for us. Honor him first, be honored later by Him later.
- I don’t have a clue what I want to do with my life. In my opinion, one of the most beautiful and heart warming characteristics about a healthy relationship is the ability to support goals and aspirations of the other person. The most important role any woman can play in their relationship to their man is their ability to provide counsel. Notice I did not say be their counselor, but provide counsel- 2 totally different things. I strongly believe in the wisdom and keen emotional abilities God has equipped each and every woman. However, if you have no clue what you want to do with your life, how do you expect to be able to understand the compatibility of your future with someone else? Yet again, I am not saying you need to go through your contact list until you find someone that has an adaptable job in any city, but it is a true sign of maturity that you have a great awareness and concern for both members futures and aspirations.